Sunday, May 24, 2009

Only one more sleep to go!

Welcome all, to my self indulgent travel blog!

Tommorrow morning I'll be jumping on a plane and heading to the UK to stay with my sister in London for 2 and a half months. I have not yet completed my packing, and being the overpacker that I am, I'm very nervous that I will forget something. I've actually started searching travel checklists on the internet - but this just makes me even more nervous because I really should have done this 2 months ago in order to do alot of the things they include... thankfully I've packed my 'sense of adventure' which many of the lists strongly suggest.

So far I have planned very little for the trip. On Tuesday morning, my sister Jessica and I will arrive, catch a cab to her flat and she will shower and head off to work, leaving me to my own devices in a very large and unfamiliar city. I've employed one of my oldest friends, Nicole, to meet me and keep me awake until a reasonable sleeping hour. I wonder what I will do? On Thursday I'll be meeting Adam and going to see Phosporescent at The Jazz Club in Camden. 
I'll also probably be doing a little bit of work experience with a fashion stylist who has a couple of gigs on while I'm there. I just fell into that - A friend of mine in Brisbane knows the stylist and suggested I get in contact, and I thought it sounded like a lot of fun. Who knows, it is similar to the work I do in art department back home, so I might fall in love with the work and want to get into it as a career. I'll get to meet people that way and probably see parts of the city that I usually wouldn't. Plus, I am there for 10 weeks with not much planned, so I'm sure I won't be strapped for time. 

I am planning to go on a few trips to Europe while I'm there... despite my very small amount of savings. My friend Oliver has been living in Berlin for 2 months and so I will go and stay with him for a week! I'm so glad I've got him there to show me around and party with me! He lives with a whole band, so I'm guessing his place is probably pretty chaotic, not that I would expect less of Olly. From there I'll go and see Rome with Jessica and her housemate Hailey.... Then later on I'll go and spend some time in France - and I'm hoping that my brother Joseph will come with me on that one. He recently moved to London and then he got a 6 week contract in Costa Rica, starting 3 days before I arrive!!! 

I am hoping that I can get a little bit of cash in hand when I arrive - just a couple hours a week to hold me over. Jessica suggested that I become a 'slammer.' Slammers dress in tiny little outfits and go around bar pouring shots for dirty men. Then they take all the money from the shots. I will not be a slammer, no sir. (Although, I am kind of tempted.)

I better get to packing. A tough activity when severely hung over.
xx

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

You will have a fantastic time .
Keep in touch & keep your wits about you !
x0x0x0x0